SCRAM is short for Security Camera Registration and Mapping program . The Lake County Sheriff’s Office is participating in the Security Camera Registration and Mapping program (S.C.R.A.M.) to help assist with the identification and apprehension of suspects involved in criminal activity, and the determination of how a non-criminal incident or emergency occurred.
SCRAM asks citizens to voluntarily place their address into a directory available only to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office. It informs the Sheriff’s Office that your residence or business is outfitted with some sort of recording device such as an exterior security camera. In the event that a crime occurs near your residence or business the Lake County Sheriff’s Office could contact you to request that you examine your security footage to see if video is available to help solve the crime. It is always your choice to let the Sheriff’s Office meet with you to view your security footage or not.
How the program works
It is completely voluntary. Your completion of the form simply logs your residence and address into an organizer of citizens willing to share their security camera footage to help solve a crime. In the event that law enforcement would benefit from reviewing the footage to help solve a crime or review an incident, they can easily observe the address and location’s contact information on a secure and CONFIDENTIAL mapping program, and then contact you. There is no cost to register your security recording device.
Note: The Lake County Sheriff’s Office would have no direct access to your video system. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office would rely on you the owner to voluntarily review the footage upon request.
To register your exterior video security video system, please complete this registration form and select submit. The form is then sent to our Community Liaison Officer for filing in our data base. Or, you can complete the form and send it to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office by mail or in person.
- Registration is voluntary.
- Registration information will only be used by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office for official purposes only.
- Any video footage containing or related to criminal activity divulged to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, may be collected by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- Under no circumstances should a registrant construe that they are acting as an agent or an employee of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office.
- If you ever wish to withdraw from S.C.R.A.M., please contact the Lake County Sheriff’s Office and we will facilitate that for you.