Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the . gov website . Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites .

Public Assistance

The Public Assistance Division assists adults and families with minor children through a variety of financial assistance programs.  These include Ohio Works First cash assistance, SNAP (Food Assistance), Prevention, Retention and Contingency (PRC) benefits, and an array of medical programs including: Medicaid for residents of Nursing Homes, community based medical benefits and health insurance for low income families and children. Eligibility requirements vary according to the program.  The division also subsidizes child care and certifies professional and parent/provider inspected child care home providers.

Have a question?

  • Email Us: [email protected]
  • Child care Eligibility Questions: 440-918-4273
  • Child Care Provider Hotline: 440-350-4248 or 440-918-4248
  • Non-Emergency Transportation Inquiries: 440-350-4212 or 440-918-4212
  • Report Fraud: Report Fraud in Ohio   or call 440-350-4227/440-918-4227

Apply for Benefits

Online: Apply, Renew, or Report a Change to your benefits at

Apply For SNAP, Cash, Medicaid and Child Care By Phone: 1-844-640-OHIO (6446)

Print and send us your application. Make sure your application is signed and dated:

Call Us to Have an Application Mailed to you: 440-350-4483 or 440-918-4483

To submit your documents or applications for public assistance by email:

Download and email us your application. Make sure your application is signed and dated:

  • be sure to include your case number
  • allow 10 days for processing

[email protected]

Program Enrollment and Benefit Information

Inscripción al programa. Información sobre beneficios

(information you should know as an applicant or recipient of assistance):

Upon receipt of your application, we will contact you for an appointment (if necessary) or mail you a list of required documents that we will need to determine your eligibility for these programs.  Please be sure to include an accurate address and the best phone number to reach you on your application.

If you have no income, you may be eligible to receive help with food within 24 hours.  In most other cases we will make an eligibility determination within 30 days.

Applications for Nursing Home, Home Care, and those applicants requiring translation services are scheduled by appointment only.  We will schedule you to meet with one of our caseworkers on a specific date and time so we can ensure your needs are met by an appropriate staff member.

For questions regarding public assistance programs, individual case inquiries, or to report a change, please contact our customer service hotline at 440-350-4011. The call center is open from 8am – noon and 1pm – 4:15pm each business day.

Your Civil Rights

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) state or local agencies, and their subrecipients, must post the following Nondiscrimination Statement:

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

  1. mail:
    Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:
    [email protected]