What is Stormwater Pollution?
Stormwater pollution is anything other than stormwater entering our storm sewer system, or MS4. The MS4 includes any ditches, storm drains, or catch basins that carry water to our rivers and lakes.
“To protect the water resources of Lake County and to enhance quality of life through effective stormwater management.”
About Our Department
In 1999, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) issued a mandate pursuant to the Clean Water Act requiring urban areas to improve water quality. Specifically, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) regulations have imposed six minimum control measures which are targeted at improving our Nations water resources.
The six minimum control measures include:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Runoff Control
- Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping