Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the . gov website . Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites .

Accounting Department

  1. What should I do if I think I may have unclaimed funds?

If you believe you may have unclaimed funds, please write to:

Lake County Auditor
Attn: Unclaimed Funds
105 Main Street
Painesville, OH 44077

Provide your current name and initials, along with any prior names you have used, such as maiden names. If you find accounts belonging to you or someone you know, you have the following options.

1) Print the Bond Form, complete it and return it to us at the above address for processing -or-
2) If you are unable to print the form, you can email us at [email protected] and we will mail a claim form to you.

The claim form must be completed, signed and notarized. If there are multiple claims, a form needs to be completed for each dollar amount. Please mail the form(s) to the Auditor’s Office address listed above.

All claims must have the proper proof of claim.

Once the claim form is received in our office, processing takes approximately 30 business days. Many claims require authorization to pay from the originating agency; if this is the case, it may take a little longer.

Please visit the Unclaimed Funds page for additional information.

  1. How can I have a lost check reissued?
    There may come a time when you are expecting a check from the Auditor’s office that you do not receive. Unfortunately, from time to time checks do become lost. If this should occur, please contact the Auditor’s Office. The check needs to be over 30 days old before it will be considered a lost check. A new check will not be issued until the previous check is over 30 days old. When the check is over 30 days old, please fill out the Bond form. You will receive a new check in approximately fourteen days from the date you filled out the form with the condition that the check is over 30 days old.