How to Obtain a Marriage License
Notice: The Probate Court does not allow same-day appointments at this time.
- Complete the Marriage Application online through the eMarriage portal.
- Once the Marriage Application is received, you will receive an email with your receipt and confirmation of your appointment date and time to finalize your Marriage Application License.
- If you are unable to fill out and submit the application electronically, you may print the application and mail the completed form to the Lake County Probate Court (P.O Box 490, Painesville, Ohio 44077).
Marriage Ceremonies are not performed in the Probate Court.
All Marriage Licenses are processed online and are by appointment only.
Cost $70.00 (must be paid when applying online/ credit card only)
MARRIAGE LICENSE IS ONLY VALID FOR 60 DAYS
Be sure you are scheduling your appointment for the Marriage License within 60 days of the date of your wedding. There is no waiting period when applying for marriage license. As long as all paperwork is in order, you will leave with marriage license the same day you apply.
LAKE COUNTY RESIDENTS
If both Applicants live in Ohio, one or both of the applicants must be a Lake County Resident.
PHOTO ID REQUIREMENT
Valid Driver’s License or State ID, Passport, Visa or Green Card.
If the address is not a current Lake County Address on one of the ID’s then 2 utility bills or business mail are required to prove residency.
IF BOTH APPLICANTS ARE FROM OUT OF STATE
Valid Driver’s License or State ID, Passport, Visa or Green Card
Need the name of person performing ceremony
Need the location of marriage. (Marriage ceremony must take place in Lake County.)
PRIOR MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS
If either Applicant has had a previous marriage, the party needs to provide a CERTIFIED copy of the most recent divorce, dissolution or annulment. Must show file stamped date, Case Number, Judge’s signature and County Seal where divorce was granted.
If spouse passed away – Need to bring CERTIFIED copy of Death Certificate
IF EITHER PARTY IS 17 YEARS OLD – (No person under age 17 can apply for a Marriage License)
If either Applicant is under the age of 17, please contact the Probate Court Marriage Department at (440) 350-2168, in order to discuss the requirements and to schedule a time to process the marriage application. Applicant must also provide the Court with a copy of his or her Birth Certificate.
When You Come To The Court For Your Marriage Application Appointment
- You will be asked to provide the clerk with all required paperwork. [See the Marriage License Requirements]
- Once all the above is completed, you will then finalize your marriage license application with the clerk.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License
Marriage records are on file at the Lake County Probate Court if at least one of the applicants resided in Lake County at the time of marriage. If BOTH applicants did not reside in Ohio, and the marriage ceremony was performed in Lake County, Ohio, the marriage license can be on file at the Lake County Probate Court.
To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license/certificate you may fill out the Request Form and mail the request to the Court.