Please be advised the Probate Court is NOT taking Marriage Applications due to yearly maintenance. We will resume taking applications and scheduling appointments online on Monday, January 3, 2022. If you have questions and need immediate assistance please contact the Marriage Department at 440-350-2326.
How to Obtain a Marriage License
Notice: The Probate Court does not allow same-day appointments at this time.
- Complete the Marriage Application online through the eMarriage portal.
- Once the Marriage Application is received, you will receive an email with your receipt and confirmation of your appointment date and time to finalize your Marriage Application License.
- If you are unable to fill out and submit the application electronically, you may print the application and mail the completed form to the Lake County Probate Court (P.O Box 490, Painesville, Ohio 44077).
Marriage Ceremonies are not performed in the Probate Court.
When You Come To The Court For Your Marriage Application Appointment
- For masks, all persons shall abide by the guidance and safety procedures in place for fully vaccinated and not fully vaccinated persons as set forth by the ODH and CDC.
- You will be asked to use the hand sanitizer at the window
- You will be asked to provide the clerk with all required paperwork. [See the Marriage License Requirements]
- Once all the above is completed, you will then finalize your marriage license application with the clerk.
How to Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License
Marriage records are on file at the Lake County Probate Court if at least one of the applicants resided in Lake County at the time of marriage. If BOTH applicants did not reside in Ohio, and the marriage ceremony was performed in Lake County, Ohio, the marriage license can be on file at the Lake County Probate Court.
To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license/certificate you may fill out the Request Form and mail the request to the Court.