Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the . gov website . Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites .

Veterans Service Office

Providing Assistance to the Men and Women who have Honorably Served Their Country

Benefits Provided By the Department of Veterans Affairs (Va)

General Eligibility for Federal Benefits

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions.  Active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard.  Certain VA benefits require service during wartime.  Some benefits, such as health care and education, require specific minimum days of active service for eligibility.  For more information, call our office @ (440) 350-2904/2567.

Service Connected Disability Compensation

Disability compensation is a monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated during active military service.  These disabilities are considered to be service-connected.  Disability compensation varies with the degree of disability and the number of Veteran’s dependents and is paid monthly.  Veterans with certain severe disabilities may be eligible for additional special monthly compensation.  The benefits are not subject to federal or state income tax.  

Non Service Connected Disability Pension

Veterans Pension

If you are a Veteran whose disabilities prevent employment or are overwhelmed with the high cost of medical care, such as paying for assisted living facilities, home care aides, adult day care, or skilled nursing, the VA Pension benefit could be the solution to help pay for this care. A Wartime Veteran with limited income and net worth may be eligible to receive this benefit.

Survivors Pension

If you are the surviving spouse of a deceased Veteran with low income or overwhelmed with the high cost of medical care, such as paying for assisted living facilities, home care aids, adult daycare, or skilled nursing, the VA Survivors benefit could be the solution to help pay for this care or other needs.

For more information please see our Non Service Connected Disability Pension Page

Health Care

The VA provides a Medical Benefits Package –  a standard enhanced health benefits plan available to all enrolled veterans.  This plan emphasizes preventive and primary care and offers a full range of outpatient and inpatient services within the VA health care system.  Veterans living in Lake and surrounding counties are fortunate to have an outstanding VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) located in Painesville and access to inpatient and treatment facilities at the Louis Stokes VA Medical Centers in Cleveland (Wade Park) and Brecksville.  A CBOC is also available in Ashtabula County.  Free and/or low-cost prescriptions are also available through the VA’s pharmacy. 

All veterans are potentially eligible for health care benefits.  Eligibility and cost of care are based on many factors including:

  • Qualifying military service
  • Minimum service requirements
  • Presence of service connected disabilities
  • Household income and assets

Our office can provide additional information and assistance in applying for these benefits and we ENCOURAGE you to call as we may be able to determine if you are eligible for this and other VA benefits.  Information is also available at

Special Health Care Benefits for Combat (OIF/OEF) Veterans

Veterans, including activated Reservists and National Guard members, are eligible for health care for up to five years if they served on active duty in a theater of combat operations during a period of war after the Gulf War or in combat against a hostile force during a period of hostilities after November 11, 1998, and have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.  Please call our office for more information and assistance in applying. 

How to File a Claim for Benefits

For more information and to arrange an appointment to speak with a County Veterans Service Officer, call our office at: (440) 350-2904/2567