Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the . gov website . Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites .

RSVP Lake County Moves to Commissioners

The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Lake County, also known as RSVP, will be moving to a new home effective April 1, 2021. 

RSVP, a federal AmeriCorps Senior program, works to provide meaningful volunteer opportunities to individuals, aged 55 and older.  RSVP is currently housed at the Willoughby-Eastlake School of Innovation and is scheduled to move to the Board of Lake County Commissioners under the direction of the Senior Services Coordinator, Alyea Barajas, effective April 1, 2021.

The Board of Commissioners recently completed a yearlong strategic plan that focused on priorities related to the Senior Services Levy.  Volunteer services was one such priority. RSVP currently receives 30% of its funding from a federal grant, the remaining 70% is from the Senior Services Levy.  Moving RSVP under the auspices of the Board of County Commissioners will both free up precious levy dollars to be used for other senior programming and at the same time provide the opportunity to expand and enhance volunteer services across the County. 

“RSVP has been a valued partner to the County’s senior services for the last 47 years.  They provide a critical service to help ensure older adults are engaged in the community,” said Jason Boyd, County Administrator. “These services have a positive impact on our Seniors in two very significant ways. These services enable seniors to volunteer and provide meaningful participation in their community. In addition, many of the seniors that volunteer are providing services to seniors in need, clearly a win for all.” Boyd further commented, “We feel this transition allows for additional growth, not only to volunteer services, but also to help address some of the gaps in services available to seniors.”

The Senior Services Levy provides $4.4 million in funding annually to more than thirteen organizations that provide services to Lake County seniors.  As the senior population grows, the Board of Commissioners will continue to look at ways to increase sustainability and foster creativity to ensure the needs of Lake County seniors are met.

Further details on RSVP’s transition will be communicated to volunteer members and other stakeholders early 2021.