Skip to main content
Lake County, Ohio - Recorder

Veteran ID Card

    Armed Forces Veteran ID Card      

    In Ohio, Veterans can file their military discharge papers (DD214) with the county Recorder’s Office for safekeeping. If their original is ever lost, damaged or destroyed, certified copies can be obtained from this office at no charge. 

    Original or certified copies of discharge papers (DD214) can be recorded in this office Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. After recording, you will receive your original or certified copy back in the mail within two days.  

    The Lake County Recorder’s Office is pleased to announce a new program benefiting our United States Armed Forces Veterans. This program allows Lake County Veterans to obtain a Photo Identification Card that will display the veterans branch of service, address and honorable discharge date. This card also contains a volume and page and/or document number, so the discharge record can be easily located by this office when needed.

    In order for a Veteran to receive a card, they will have to file, or have already filed, their original or certified copy of their military discharge (DD214) paperwork with the Lake County Recorder’s Office and show valid photo ID.

    What to bring:

    1. A legible Original or Certified copy of Honorable discharge (DD214) to be recorded, at no charge to the veteran. (DD214 will be returned to veteran by mail after processing. It can also be picked up by the veteran if requested.)
    2. A valid identification card.
      • If your Honorable discharge is not legible, it must be followed by a letter from the VA translating the discharge.
      • If your Honorable discharge is already recorded in this office, please let us know and we can look it up.

    Armed Forces Veteran ID Card can be used: 

     - To receive benefits or discounts* at participating retail establishments and restaurants.
     - Proof of military service.
     - To obtain certified copies of your DD214 from the Lake County Recorder's Office.
     - Voter Identification.

    NOTE: The discharge papers that are filed in this office are not considered public record and can only be obtained by the veteran, or an authorized individual, with proof of identification. (See Ohio Revised Code §317.24)

    *Veteran Discounts (click here)