Skip to main content
Lake County, Ohio - Recorder

Veterans Information

    Veterans Information

    Link to the Lake County Ohio Veterans Service Office

    Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, is one of the most important documents that the Service will ever give you. It is your key to participation in all Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs as well as several state and federal programs including:

    • Disability Compensation
    • Education and Training
    • Home Loans
    • Loan Guaranty Services
    • Vocational Services
    • Insurance Services
    • Burial & VA Cemeteries

    These are just a few of the services that require your discharge papers. You should keep your original document in a safe place, and have certified photocopies available for reference. You can replace your lost discharge papers, but it takes a long time and a lot of effort.

    Be safe. In Ohio you can record your DD Form 214 in your county recorder's office.

    Register your DD Form 214 with your County Recorder as soon as you separate from the Service. After you record your discharge papers, they can be easily retrieved if you need additional certified copies. DD 214 Request Form.

    Tips on Handling Important Documents

    • You should keep all important documents in a safe place.
    • Register or record your documents with your County Recorder. This will insure that your originals are in a safe, fireproof place, and will quickly be accessible to you when you need them in the form of certified copies.
    • Use a certified copy of your original document when someone requires your original document.
    • If your county of residence changes, file your DD 214 with that new county. It will be easier for you if you need additional certified copies.

    All Veterans in Lake County can record Military Release or Discharge documents at no charge. All veterans who record their document are also entitled to two free certified copies of those documents.

    Replacing a Lost DD Form 214

    You can request a copy of your DD Form 214 by writing to the National Personnel Records Center. Include the following information with your request:

    • Your full name
    • Social Security Number
    • Current phone number (with area code)
    • Approximate dates of service
    • Place of discharge
    • Return address
    • Reason for the request.

    Send this request to:

      National Personnel Records Center
      Attention: (Your branch of the Service)
      9700 Page Avenue
      St. Louis, MO 63132-5100