Skip to main content
Lake County, Ohio - Job and Family Services

Location Services


    To establish the paternity of a child, to obtain an order for support, and in most cases, to enforce that order, we must determine where the alleged father and/or non-custodial parent lives or works. When a claim is made by one person against another, the defendant must be given notice of the legal action taken and the steps necessary to protect his or her rights. To notify the non-custodial parent in advance, either by certified mail or in person, child support officials must have a correct address. If we do not have one, some of the current ways we have to locate non-custodial parents is through: postal verifications, employment verifications, bureau of motor vehicles, Federal Parent Locator Service, credit bureau records, social security administration, military records, courts records, and any other records that may be determined to be helpful.

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    Q. I think the children's father is still in the area. What information will the enforcement office need to find him?

    A. Most important is the social security number and current employer's name and address; also helpful are the names, addresses and phone numbers of any relatives, friends, or past employers who might know where he works or lives. Unions, local clubs or organizations, including professional organizations, might also have information. Finally, information about local creditors, such as banks or utility companies, might yield an address.

    Q. What will happen when the caseworker has the current address of the non-custodial parent?

    A. The child support worker will verify the home and work addresses, then may ask the parent to come to the CSED for an interview, or notify him/her that legal action may be taken.