Skip to main content

History of the Greater Madison Sewer District

    Madison Sewer District

    The original Madison Wastewater Treatment Facility was constructed in 1924 at a cost of roughly $20,000, and was designed to provide sanitary sewer service to Eastern Lake County. The facility consisted of a course-screening chamber, a settling tank and a disinfection area prior to wastewater being discharged into Lake Erie.  An interceptor sewer and the Lake Road Lift Station followed in the same year.  Based on the original general plan, this system was necessary to serve the many cottages being constructed along Lake Erie. 

    In 1958, increased growth in the area required the construction of a second settling tank and a new outfall pipe extending 500 feet into Lake Erie.  This expansion had an estimated cost of $350,000 and doubled the capacity of the Dock Road facility to approximately 2 MGD.


    In the early 1970s another expansion was needed.  The options included expanding the facility at the existing site or reconstructing a new facility elsewhere.  A new facility was deemed to be the best option because of new environmental regulations proposed in the U.S. Congress, along with the development of newer technologies allowing for improved treatment.  The new facility was constructed for roughly $4 million on the north east corner of Cashen Rd. (then Vrooman Rd.) and Dock Rd.  The treatment facility was designed to routinely handle 3 MGD, but can handle up to 7.5 MGD during rain events when inflow/infiltration of rain water into the system increases.  The facility served nearly 5,000 homes and businesses at that time.

    In 1985, a new 30-inch, 3,000 foot long outfall sewer was constructed from the facility to the site of the former Dock Road Facility, and was connected to the preexisting outfall sewer.

    In 1995, there was a facility upgrade project to add de-chlorination facilities and a new tertiary filter waste backwash water holding/flow equalization basin. These improvements allowed the facility to continue to meet the evolving discharge permit limits.

    In 2006, planning for a facility upgrade and expansion occurred. In 2012, plans were developed to expand the existing 3.0 MGD tertiary treatment facility to 5 MGD.


    In 2015, the expansion was completed and included:

    •  better screening equipment

    • grit removal and handling system

    •  secondary treatment for biological nutrient removal process

    •  ferrous chloride feed system for supplemental phosphorus removal

    •  sludge thickening

    • ultra-violet system for disinfection

    • electrical power distribution system upgrade

    • 1,500 kW stand-by generator and transfer switch and switchgear

    •  plant-wide supervisory control and data acquisition

    •  effluent pumping facility to discharge up to 15 MGD of effluent flow to handle peak flow demands

    The wastewater treated at this facility is returned to Lake Erie, after having received a complete tertiary treatment.  Sludge produced at this facility is transported to the Gary L. Kron Water Reclamation Facility in Mentor for processing.

    The Madison Wastewater Treatment Facility serves residents and businesses in Madison Township, North Perry Village, Perry Township and Perry Village.