Skip to main content
Lake County, Ohio - Job and Family Services

Public Assistance

    Public Assistance

    The Public Assistance Division assists adults and families with minor children through a variety of financial assistance programs.  These include Ohio Works First cash assistance, Disability Assistance, Food Assistance, Prevention, Retention and Contingency (PRC) benefits, and an array of medical programs including: Medicaid for residents of Nursing Homes, community based medical benefits and health insurance for low income families and children. Eligibility requirements vary according to the program.  The division also subsidizes child care and certifies professional and parent/provider inspected child care home providers.

    To apply for Medicaid only please visit

    To complete an online application for Cash Assistance, Food Assistance, and/or Medicaid, visit

    If you are currently receiving Food Assistance, Medicaid, or Cash Assistance and would like to report a change to your case, check the status of your case, complete your Interim Report or Reapplication Form visit

    *Applications for PRC Services and Child Care are not available online at this time.

    To request an application by mail, please call 440-350-4483 or 440-918-4483.

    Program Enrollment and Benefit Information

    (information you should know as an application or recipient of assistance):

    Upon receipt of your application, we will contact you for an appointment (if necessary) or mail you a list of required documents that we will need to determine your eligibility for these programs.  Please be sure to include an accurate address and the best phone number to reach you on your application.

    If you have no income, you may be eligible to receive help with food within 24 hours.  In most other cases we will make an eligibility determination within 30 days.

    We have walk in hours for intake appointments only on Tuesdays: 8:00am - 9:30am or 1:00pm - 2:30pm. Wait times are dependent upon the number of applicants checking in on that day.

    Applications for Nursing Home, Home Care, and those applicants requiring translation services are scheduled by appointment only.  We will schedule you to meet with one of our caseworkers on a specific date and time so we can ensure your needs are met by an appropriate staff member.

    Questions regarding Medicaid -   Please contact the Medicaid Consumer Hotline at 1-800-324-8680

    General Food Assistance, Cash Assistance, PRC Services, or Medicaid – Please contact one of our application screeners at 440-350-4288 or 440-918-4288.  If you have an assigned caseworker, please contact them directly or call 440-350-4000 or 440-918-4000 to be directed to the appropriate person.

    Child Care Eligibility Questions: 440-350-4273 or 440-918-4273

    Child Care Provider Hotline: 440-350-4423 or 440-918-4423

    NonEmergency Transportation Inquiries: 440-350-4366 or 440-918-4366

    Report Welfare Fraud:  440-350-4227 or 440-918-4227