Concealed Carry Permits
Due to technical difficulties with the computer system the Sheriff's Office CCW / Concealed Hand Gun registration office at 2025 Blase-Nemeth Rd will be closed on Monday, May 19, 2014. It will reopen on Tuesday, May 20th, 2014.
Remember, the CCW Office moved this week to its new location at 2025 BlaseNemeth Rd. in Painesville Township, the old Minimum Security jail facility. It is NOT housed at the main jail in downtown Painesville, nor is it the County Garage in Perry Township ... it is now at 2025 BlaseNemeth Rd. in Painesville Township
Concealed Carry Registration / Fingerprinting / Sexual Predator Notification
2025 Blasé-Nemeth Rd.
Painesville Township, Ohio 44077
Directions to CCW
Normal Business Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
8am to 4:00 pm
No Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday Hours
Schedule An Appointment ›
CCW Scheduling Change .... Effective March 4, 2013
To better serve the citizens applying for CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon permits) and SORN (Sexual Offender Registration), uses a scheduling program (located above). We do not take walk-in applicants for the CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon permits) and SORN (Sexual Offender Registration). Any person who wants to apply for a CCW permit must schedule their appointment using the scheduling program above.
If you are coming to have a Webcheck or Fingerprinting obtained these will still be taken on a walk-in basis.
Sheriff Daniel A. Dunlap reports the Lake County Sheriff's Office is providing the listed information to accurately inform the public on the procedures to follow regarding the new Carrying Concealed Weapons law . This information is being provided so as to give citizens guidance in making application for a Concealed Carry Permit in Lake County.
1. The applicant must first obtain the twelve (12) hours of weapons proficiency training as required by the new law. (Check with local sporting goods stores, gun shops, clubs, or colleges.) Our office may also be able to assist you with information of locations offering the training. NOT OFFERED BY THE LAKE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE.
2. Insure the instructors offering the weapons training have a certificate of training from the National Rifle Association or the Ohio Police Officer Training Academy and are certified as instructors to teach firearms training. Ask to see their credentials and certification.
3. Upon successful completion of the training and receipt of a firearm's training certificate from the training entity, the applicant must obtain a "CCW APPLICATION FORM" and the "OHIO CONCEALED CARRY LAW PAMPHLET" as prepared by the Ohio Attorney General's Office. The forms should be made available to you where you obtained your weapons training or on line at www.ag.state.oh.us. The application forms will also be available in the lobby of the Lake County Sheriff's Office, 104 East Erie Street, Painesville, Ohio 44077, at any time of day or night.
4. The Lake County Sheriff's Office will process applications at the Commissioners Vehicle Maintenance Garage at 4485 North Ridge Road, North Perry, Ohio 44081. Entrance Is In The Rear Of The Building, On The West (Left) Side Of The Building. DO NOT come to the main jail at 104 East Erie Street because they cannot be processed there.
5. RENEWAL APPLICATIONS The following is what is needed for a renewal of a CCW Permit.
- Completed Renewal Applications, can be picked up in lobby of office. or down loaded off Attorney General web-site
- Old Permit
- Drivers license.
- $50.00 cash, bank check, certified check. no personal checks accepted
Questions regarding CCW applications and renewals:
It is NOT necessary to attach a copy of your training certificate to your renewal application. Present your valid or expired Ohio Concealed Carry License with your application.
SECOND & SUBSEQUENT RENEWAL(S):
NOTE: EFFECTIVE MARCH 27, 2013, HB 495 BECOMES LAW; AND ELIMINATES THE REQUIREMENT TO OBTAIN A "RENEWED COMPETENCY" CERTIFICATE PRIOR TO OBTAINING THE SECOND (OR SUBSEQUENT) RENEWAL OF A CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE.
If you are renewing your license for the second or subsequent time on or after this date, no additional training is necessary
IF YOU RENEW YOUR LICENSE FOR THE SECOND TIME PRIOR TO MARCH 27, 2013:
Prior to renewing your concealed carry license, Ohio Revised Code 2923.125 G(4) requires that you obtain renewed competency certification from a qualified instructor by passing a test that demonstrates range competency. A renewed competency certificate issued to you should be signed and dated by the instructor and attest that you have demonstrated range competency. Note: You are not required to attend the 12 hour concealed carry license course in order to be eligible to receive the renewed competency certificate.
(Note: this requirement ceases to exist on March 27, 2013)
Those having questions may contact the Sheriff's Office at (440) 350-5858 or (440) 350-5676.
Applicants shall apply in person:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 8am to 4:00 pm
No Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday Hours
APPLICATION FORM MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO A PERSON BEING PROCESSED.
5. The applicant must have the following items when coming to the Lake County Sheriff's Office to process their application for a Carrying Concealed Weapons Permit:
a. Their completed application form;
b. Copies of their firearms training certificate;
c. Current photo identification (i.e., drivers license, state identification) NOTE: A passport photo is not required when applying for the CCW permit. The Sheriff's office takes one at no additional fee.
d. One of the following methods of payment for the NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE: Cash (exact change only), Money Order, Cashier's Check, or Certified Bank Check, in the amount of $67.00, made payable to the Lake County Sheriff's Office.
NOTE: Any person who is applying for a CCW Renewal, who previously had a permit issued from a different county, must bring their Certificate of Course Completion with them at the time of renewal. If Certificate of Course Completion is not rendered at the time of the renewal then the application will not be accepted.
NOTE: WE WILL NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL OR BUSINESS CHECKS.
NOTE: If you have resided in the State of Ohio, less than five (5) continuous years, an additional $24.00 may be charged to cover the federal background check costs.
DO NOT BRING ANY FIREARMS TO THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE.
6. One applicant will be processed at a time and their completed application, and method of payment will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy. Their fingerprints will be obtained through the Web Check system and sent electronically to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification for a background check. If the electronic system is unavailable, fingerprint cards may be used.
7. The applicant will provide all the necessary information to conduct the required background investigation by the Sheriff's Office. The applicant will then be notified, as outlined, of the next step in the process.
8. The applicant will be contacted by certified return receipt mail, to advise them if their application has been denied and the reason for the denial. The appeal process will also be explained in the certified letter to the applicant if their application is denied.
9. In an effort to make the application process efficient, easy to follow, and available to all citizens wishing to apply, the times for accepting applications may change after the first month to better accommodate everyone. This information will be provided to everyone through the media and on the Sheriff's Office web site at www.sheriffdunlap.org.
10. Any questions anyone may have concerning the Carrying Concealed Weapons law or applying for a "TEMPORARY EMERGENCY PERMIT" can be directed to the Sheriff's Office by phoning (440) 350-5500 or (440) 350-5676.
11. If you so desire to have your permit mailed to you then you must bring with you a self-addressed stamped envelope at the time of your application. NOTE: The self-addressed stamped envelope needs an additional .20 cent stamp added due to the added weight of the permit.